Beggars--Harassing Passengers at the Tacloban Airport









I was at the Daniel Z. Romualdez Airport in Tacloban early Tuesday morning with my siblings and their kids to meet two of my other siblings who were on the morning PAL flight from Manila.

A few minutes after we found a nice, suitable place in the parking area, a couple of street kids came over and asked for coins; they were about ten years old, more or less, and since it is the holiday season, I gave each of them a one peso coin.

Wrong move.

Because ten to fifteen minutes later, their companions materialized like sharks homing in on their prey.

Each one of them begged for coins and they wouldn't take no for an answer.
My sister gave them Fita Bisquits instead and threatened to call the cops if they try to push their luck.
So, they did an about-face and crowded around other arriving passengers.

As I watched these street children begging, the thought crossed my mind, like, these beggars could morph into prostitutes, pickpockets, thieves, and bank robbers in the future if the Department of Social Welfare and other well-meaning organizations don't do something about the situation.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

(Return from Beggars...to Photographs Build Memories Home)

No comments: